Wall Decals for Living Room Home Decor
Wall Decals for Living Room Home Decor
Home is where the heart is. It’s an age-old saying that has a lot of truth in it. Your home really is your kingdom. It’s your own personal space that a lot of people enjoy spending time and money putting their own stamp on it and making it their own.
When you first move into a new home, it’s like walking into an empty art gallery with nothing but a blank canvas to fill. It’s your golden opportunity to decorate each room exactly how you want it and to your taste. Even if you’re not moving into a new home it can be nice to have a change every once in a while.
One of the most important rooms in any home is the living room. That’s often because it’s the place where everyone gathers to spend time together as a family or is the place you go to relax and get away from the world. Either way, it’s usually a room that gets a lot of use and for that reason you want it to look good. And while many people find redecorating to be a costly fuss, it really doesn’t have to be thanks to wall decals.
Why choose wall decals for decorating your living room?
Wall decals or “vinyl wall art” are a growing trend at the moment. They’re a great option when looking to decorate your living room for many reasons. Here are some of them:
- Quick transformation: Wall decals can totally transform your living room in a matter of minutes. Available in a wide range of shapes, sizes, colors, and design wall decals can make even the dullest of spaces come alive.
- Cost effective: Applying wall decals to your wall is a much cheaper option than wallpapering or repainting. And they’re just as effective.
- Customization options: If you want something a little different on your living room wall, with these wall decor ideas that’s no problem. Most companies will be happy to produce customized vinyl wall art for you that include certain words, phrases, or pictures.
- Easy to apply. Wall decals are extremely easy to apply and can be done by pretty much anyone. If you’re not sure where to start with yours, or just want a few pointers, below is a quick guide to help you along your way.
How to apply wall decals the easy way
As mentioned above, vinyl wall decals are not difficult to apply as long as you have a good eye and the right materials to hand. Even so, it’s nice to get a few pointers. So the following is a quick guide on how to apply vinyl wall decals the easy way.
- Once you’ve decided where you’re going to put your wall decal it’s time to gather your tools and prepare the area. First, you’ll need to clean the area of the wall where the decal is going. This is very important as any dirt or oil left on the surface may prevent the decal from sticking. Avoid using any harsh chemicals to do this. Simply use a little soap and warm water and sponge clean. Make sure the wall is thoroughly dry before applying the decal.
- Get into position: Make sure you’re happy with where the decal is going to be placed. While it’s not hard to remove a decal from the wall, it won’t be reusable afterward. So it’s best to be sure before you know where you want it first. When you are satisfied, use a small amount of masking tape along the top edge of the decal to affix it to the wall.
- Apply the decal: Once you’re happy that the decal is level and in the right place, simply remove the backing from the decal. Next, work slowly down the decal, applying a slight pressure, to enable it to stick to the wall. Then use your squeegee or credit card to remove any air bubbles that may have formed, starting from the middle and moving outwards.
- Remove the paper backing: This is the backing that protects the front of your decal. Gently peel it back to reveal your masterpiece in its full glory.
How to remove wall decals the easy way
Sometimes the application process just doesn’t go as well as you’d hoped. Or you might just want a change to the current wall decals you have in your living room. If that’s the case, you’re going to need to know how to remove wall decals the easy way. Thankfully, that’s just what the following entails:
- Heat the decal: Heat part of the decal by holding either a hairdryer or heat gun around six inches away on a medium setting. Hold it there until the decal is warm to touch. Don’t heat the decal too much or the adhesive may become tacky making it more difficult to remove.
- Test a patch: Once the decal has been warmed up, it should be easy to peel off. Starting with a corner, try and peel back the decal. Hopefully, it will come away nice and easy. If not, reheat the decal for a while longer and try again.
- Peel the remaining decal: Use the hairdryer as needed to heat any stubborn parts then gently peel off what’s left of the decal.
- Remove any residue: Sometimes wall stickers leave behind a residue from the adhesive. If that happens, simply clean the area with a damp cloth or a mild cleaner if really stubborn.
Hopefully, by now you will have a better understanding about wall decals and why they’re a great option for home decorating. Whether you want to design your own or buy some that are ready-made, wall decals are a fantastic way to transform any living room in a matter of seconds. They’re relatively cheap in comparison to most other forms of decorating and you don’t need to be a professional to fit them. So, what are you waiting for? Go get your wall decals and give your living room a treat.